Re: [ST] Major service UPDATE

- --B_3194499492_5770157

On 3/24/05 5:58 AM, "drbrant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <drbrant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Zoltan, for the record, my ST needed no Shims at 12,000 miles.   While I don't
> abuse it much it gets ridden like it was meant to be.  That is regular runs to
> 7-9,000 RPM and lots of long trips two up.

I also ride much the same way. At 18K I was going to take mine in for the
valve service but decided to at least check myself. It is only a few more
bolts after the  fuel tank is removed. I was pleased I did because my valves
were well within spec and cost savings of well over $250.

I currently have the bike torn apart for the 24k head bearing service so I
am going to check again. The gaskets are all reusable so as long as torque
specs are followed, it is an easy 2 hour job. I run Mobile 1 (red top) so I
hope not to find much difference from 18k. I kept the last measurements so
we will see what happens.

As far as the head bearing goes, the lube of this bearing should not be
skipped. I was starting to experience an ever so slight pulse when I would
turn the bars. What I found was that moisture had entered the head and
started to corrode the lower bearing. I am a year round rider and tend to
wash the bike a whole lot. The local dealer did not have the replacement. I
was able to call the local bearing house and they ordered it for me.  The
bearing is a Koyo bearing (p/n 32006jrs) and only costs $15-$20. The one
from Triumph (3800031-T0301) was $43. Not a big deal to replace but it does
take a little bit of time, a bearing puller/press, and a way to support the
bike.

Justin

- --B_3194499492_5770157

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: [ST] Major service UPDATE</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12.0px'>On 3/24/05 5:58 AM, &qu=
ot;drbrant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx&quot; &lt;drbrant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx&gt; wrote:<BR>
<BR>
</SPAN></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12.0p=
x'>Zoltan, for the record, my ST needed no Shims at 12,000 miles. &nbsp;&nbs=
p;While I don't abuse it much it gets ridden like it was meant to be. &nbsp;=
That is regular runs to 7-9,000 RPM and lots of long trips two up.<BR>
</SPAN></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12.0=
px'><BR>
I also ride much the same way. At 18K I was going to take mine in for the v=
alve service but decided to at least check myself. It is only a few more bol=
ts after the &nbsp;fuel tank is removed. I was pleased I did because my valv=
es were well within spec and cost savings of well over $250. <BR>
<BR>
I currently have the bike torn apart for the 24k head bearing service so I =
am going to check again. The gaskets are all reusable so as long as torque s=
pecs are followed, it is an easy 2 hour job. I run Mobile 1 (red top) so I h=
ope not to find much difference from 18k. I kept the last measurements so we=
 will see what happens.<BR>
<BR>
As far as the head bearing goes, the lube of this bearing should not be ski=
pped. I was starting to experience an ever so slight pulse when I would turn=
 the bars. What I found was that moisture had entered the head and started t=
o corrode the lower bearing. I am a year round rider and tend to wash the bi=
ke a whole lot. The local dealer did not have the replacement. I was able to=
 call the local bearing house and they ordered it for me. &nbsp;The bearing =
is a Koyo bearing (p/n 32006jrs) and only costs $15-$20. The one from Triump=
h (3800031-T0301) was $43. Not a big deal to replace but it does take a litt=
le bit of time, a bearing puller/press, and a way to support the bike.<BR>
<BR>
Justin</SPAN></FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>