Re: [ST] Major service UPDATE

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005, Zoltan Pavlakovich wrote:

- - -He tells me that Triumph is wrong, the maintenance book is wrong and a
major
- - -service should be done at around 6k miles because sometimes the valves
are
- - -tight and the sooner you catch it the better in order not to damage the
- - -heads.(mine is an overstock 2001 that I bought at the end of 03). So what
- - -happened is I guess I paid for an early 12k service (including adjusting
the
- - -valve clearances and synching the throttle bodies) and the next major
- - -service would be due at 18k instead of 12k. Does this make sense, is
there
- - -any reports of tight valves early on or is this guy telling me
fairytales?

I was wondering if for what they charged they did a 12k service instead of a
6k.  Maybe the mechanic is working from T3 info?  IIRC the T3 was on a 6k
service interval whereas our T5's are on a 12k.

That's exactly what he's doing, as far as I'm concerned.  And if he can't
tell the difference between a T3 and a T5 motor, he needs to not work on my
bike.

I had a valve check done on my 1999 Sprint ST, just to see, at the first 6k.
  Nothing was out of spec.  I've had them done at 12k intervals ever since,
including going the first 12k on my current '02 without seeing too the
valved.  Alittle over 50k miles later and still no valve, or head, problems.

Steven "Dirty Dawg" Kohlscheen
2002 Triumph Sprint ST