RE: [ST] Fork oil drain

Andy wrote:
> Actually it's a good idea IM(ns)HO.  Just make sure you wind up with the
same level of fluid 9 (+/- ZERO)  in each when you are done vacuuming.

> I have put Racetech springs and emulators in an ST and emulators in a
Tiger. Definitely worth it.  Increase your fluid level by at least 20 cc
to fight dive.

Sage advice!

IIRC, I raised the fork oil level in my (then) bone stock forks, from the
recommended 140-something to 125mm (as measured from the top of the fork
tube).  At that time I switched to 10w fork oil.  The overall improvement
was dramatic.  I think I posted something like "Budget Fork Upgrade" at the
time.

One other point:  If you are comfortable removing the front wheel and
fender, fork removal is just a few additional pinch bolts away.  Why not
flush out the old fork oil properly?  Once you've serviced the forks off the
bike and see the metallic content of the oil which you can pump out with a
thorough flush, you'll understand why.

Tech tips:
- - Loosen the fork caps before fork removal.
- - To hold the fork without marring the finish, cut an automotive serpentine
belt and wrap it several times around the tube.  Then clamp the ends of the
belt, NOT including the tube, in your bench vise.

- --
Rick in Oregon - where winter has finally arrived
'01 Sprint ST - scattered across the shop...
but RaceTeched ;O)