[ST] Ozark trip, Day 1

Friday, April 29.

            I jumped ship at work today as we start our spring Ozark motorcycle trip.

            I packed both my Motoport jacket liner and extra gloves just in case since the weather may be dicey this weekend. I lit Merlin up and suited up as she warmed in the morning sun with that nice triple rumble from the triumph off road can.

            A quick stop at Seven eleven was delayed as I just had to have that quarter pound hot dog for my nourishing breakfast and get the trip started on the right foot.

            After Merlin had her fill of high test and I was satisfied with the dog I clicked in gear and headed north to meet up with Bird Dawg at the gas station off Highway 423 between The Colony and Highway 380.

            Bird Dawg was there waiting for me as the dang dog cost me five extra minutes. But, I was happy! A few quick words and we continued north to Highway 380 and east to McKinney to meet up with Joe Pankow at the Chevron at the intersection of Highway 380 and US 69.

            We pulled in and Joe was there waiting for us. Must have been that dang hot dog again as I always like to beat everybody to the rendezvous point. I had told Bird Dawg that we would get under way to beat the rain as far as we could and make introduction at the first stop. We followed that plan after saying hello and this is David.

            I lead the group out and accelerated on the on ramp to head north on the first leg of the journey like a man released from indenture!

            Along the way we passed what I thought were Harleys at first. They looked like Harleys and the riders did have on fringe leather but they were moving at close to the posted speed limit. I?ll have to check this out later and see if it was my vision or really stuck throttles!

            We made great time with little traffic as we moved north until we got to Howe.

            Then the rain started. At least it was light and we continued on as the temperature fell from around seventy two to sixty degrees in a flash. Sixty is not really cold but when it hits that fast you feel it. Throw on a little rain and a seventy five mile per hour wind chill and it gets your attention.

            I thought about pulling over to gear up better but decided to make a run to the rest stop just over the Red River inside Oklahoma. Beside, there was no place to stop except the highway and I really didn?t like that option with cars and trucks going by at high speed in rain.

            I gave the great state of Texas a left handed salute as always as we crossed the Red River into foreign country away from the safe confines of the real world.

            About five miles later we pulled into the rest stop for a quick wardrobe change. I removed the Motoport and zipped in the liner as I thought that I sure was lucky to place it in the almost empty right hard bag. Then the vented leather Teknic gloves were replaced with the Tour Master Polar gloves and I could actually feel my fingers again. It really pays off to have the right gear, and you remember to bring it along. Now to replace that tinted face shield with the clear on that has the Fog City insert. I can see! I can see! But wait, what?s this? It is Harleys. What the heck. These folks actually ride them and ride them well in questionable weather. We head north as the Harleys change gear and follow along behind until we sail away.

            One more comment about gear. I have recently installed a set of the new Metzler Z6 tires and they feel very good in the wet. We?ll see about the handling as we make the Ozarks later on.

            We make our normal gas stop in Atoka at the Shell station on the right. Lots of parking, clean restrooms, friendly folks, and a good stop before the dash across to Talihina and the foot of the Talimena Parkway.

            We continue on north about seven miles and exit at Stringtown on Highway 43. I love Highway 43 as it is open road, deserted, nice sweepers, and only one own in about fifty miles until you get to Lake Sardis outside Talihina. The rain picks up again as we sweep our way east.

            We turn across the dam at Lake Sardis and this time we don?t stop for the picture opportunity as the rain keeps us moving on.

            Bird Dawg takes the lead as we leave the lake and head into Talihina. Gotta? watch those pesky cat paint paws on the pavement inside town as they are slick. We stop at a buffet before we leave Talihina to grab some lunch a sit looks like the Talimena Parkway may be out today as the weather starts to build low clouds in the area. They are very biker friendly and come outside as we park our weapons and welcome us to park under the overhang on their sidewalks to get out of the drizzle. OK, they have earned my business from now on. Inside we get a nice fish, shrimp, and bar-b-que buffet, veggies, and desert for $4.95. Can?t beat that with a stick. While we?re inside the rain stops and things are looking up as the sun breaks through!

            We gear up and as we exit the parking lot the liquid greets us again. Bummer, but we decide to try the parkway anyway.

            We only make it about a mile before it is evident that the trip across the parkway today will be slow and poor visibility as we scout for deer.

            At the middle drop off we exit on Highway 259 north and descend from the clouds and fog. As we make the intersection of Highway 259 and Highway 270 we are greeted by forest ranger doing a quick survey. We play along and tell them we?re here because we like the scenery and roads and then head east toward Mena. Highway 270 is not in good shape with lots of construction. I was much relieved after bumping along for ten mile to finally see a sign which stated ?Rough Road Ahead?. Thanks, I needed that.

            We make a quick change of plans at stop at the Limelight Inn and dry out, get warm, and hope for better weather tomorrow. We could have gone on but why waste great roads in the wet. Bird Dawg and I share a room and Joe is just across the open parking lot. I go downstairs as I see the cleaning women in the laundry room and ask if they would put our wet clothing in the dryer. They look at each other as I explain we?re cold and tired, and have to ride all weekend in wet clothing. They agree and I return to Bird Dawg and Joe to gather up what we want dried. OK, I stretched it a little but they were friendly and knew I was kidding around. We set the dryer on medium as we threw our riding gear in along with t-shirts, gloves, etc. I retuned to the room thirty minutes later to nice warm and dry gear. This will get us in a better mood quick tomorrow morning and no dripping gear in the room tonight. A quick buffet at the Limelight and we?re in bed around ten to get up and g
 tomorrow. Plus, we got to park our bikes under the stairs out of the weather.

Jack "Rude Dog" Hays
"I'll see you on the dark side of the moon"

Remember: It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you have:-)