Re: [ST] for Brett - ride hazards

In a previous email, BrettWilson21@xxxxxxx stated:
Do the existing panniers and top box fit on the '05?

I don't know about the top box but every picture of the panniers that I've seen would lead me to believe that they don't.

Anyone have first hand experience on the '05 yet?

Sort of. I took one out for a demo the other day. In a word, sweet! While I didn't have much time I was able to determine that this is a bike that I would buy. The seat is much more comfortable than the old one. The handle bars felt a little lower but I may have been mistaken. I like the look of the cockpit. The two trip odometers are nice as is the mileage computer. Lots of pep; loads of torque. I wish I could have taken it out longer. I think that somebody had fine tuned the suspension, it felt fantastic to me.

The salesman had started the engine and walked away. Five minutes later the plastic behind the seat was just as warm as the gas tank plastic. So I don't think that heat from the exhaust is a problem. I looked down around the exhaust and noticed that there is foil insulation on the plastic as well as a hard heat shield above the exhaust.

I could not find the speedometer sensor. It's not on the forks and it's not on the rear wheel. The salesman didn't know where it was.

The silver trim on the fairing is a thin plastic piece that appears to bolt on. It will probably be the first thing to explode in a parking lot drop.

The mirrors are somewhat of an improvement. They are out a little further so you can see what is behind you. Rather than the head swiveling on the stalk the mirror pivots inside the stalk head. The tilt is more than adequate however the pan is off. For example, with the left mirror I can pan it to see my right shoulder but not to see behind and to the left of me.

And just like the older ST's I still find the speedometer hard to read.

I was really impressed with how comfortable the stock seat is.

-- Steve Lawler Verona, NJ, USA

2001 Sprint ST "Blue Devil"

"The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution."
-- Hannah Arendt