RE: [ST] Brake locking - ABS

>From: simonb
>The only trouble with ABS is it gives you a false feeling of
>security that won't help on bends.

Well I agree with the false feeling effect it has on a lot of
people who have no idea what ABS actually is. But the problem
is between the ears, it's not the fault of the system. And
it will help on bends, as I've seen in a BMW sponsored video
about their powered, integrated ABS braking system where the
Dutch police make an emergency stop with an R1150RT with integral
braking system on a circuit nearby here, in a bend. Worked great,
of course Telelever helps alot here as well. On the GS I could
always break very easily in bends without the steering geometry
being changed.

>Take your ABS equipped hire car up to 100mph, take your left foot of the
>clutch and stamp on the brakes. 10 seconds later you have stopped with
>the smell of fried disk pad. It don't half stop quick.

I still wonder if ABS if that different in cars compared to motorcycles.
Besides the iBMW link which shows braking distances that are reduced
by more than a third in the wet ( http://www.ibmwr.org/prodreview/abstests.html )
I also have a Dutch test here where they tested different ABS bikes
against each other, as well as using the R1100GS in the test to
test with the ABS off as well (and 2 up, which sometimes shortened
the braking distance). They used 3 different riders, all very experienced.
Each different test (dry / wet / 2 up dry and wet / ABS off dry and wet)
was done 7 times per rider to get an objective average. This was all
in a controlled, non-panic situation on a special track which they
always use for stuff like this. They tested braking from 80 km/h,
with ABS fully engaged (so just brainless stomping and squeezing).
ABS off in the dry increased braking distance by 6% (30.2 instead of
28.5 meters), ABS off in the wet increased braking distance by 21%
(35.2 meters instead of 29.2, so when the ABS bike is standing still
the non - ABS bike still has a speed of 15 km/h). Sounds very much in
line with the anti-skid failure procedure on the F50...
And with this test as well: http://www.hsabs.com/english/cont4/cont42.htm
(including video).

I've read the same results in German Motorrad magazines, who strongly
favour ABS on bikes (and I guess more people favor it, since ABS will
be compulsory on new bikes in 2007).

The most striking thing I found that ABS fully engaged (cycling) has
the best effect. So instead of trying to brake "old school style", while
trying to use ABS as a backup, you should just slam the brakes in an
emergency stop to get the best performance. Apparantly the braking
performance in between cycles is so high that it compensates for the
on-off cycles it is making meanwhile. My experience is similar on the
ST1100ABSTCS and R11150GS ABS I had. And also on the R1150RT with
integral ABS brakes, which I tested a week ago on a parking lot.
That's like throwing out an anchor...

Are the ABS systems on cars that much worse?

About the false feeling of safety and the effect of ABS on accident
statistics you can check these huge reports of the NHTSA:
http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/vrtc/ca/lvabs.htm

Emile
www.piloot.com