RE: [ST] Throttlemeister vs Vista Cruise

>From: Jean Doublet
>Apart from price (throttlemeister is much more
>expensive), what would make one more desirable
>than the other ? Any advice and experience welcome

I've had a VC on my PC800 and ST1100, a Wunderlich
device identical to the throttlemeister on my R1150GS
and a throttlerocker on all previous bikes.
www.throttlerocker.com

* Advantage throttlemeister: perhaps looks, you can
adjust throttle tension while riding.
* Advantage VC: you can switch is on and off very
easily, safer and a lot cheaper and if you got the
right VC it looks stock.
* Advantage throttlerocker: unlike a throttle lock,
you can use it in ALL circumstances, all the time
strain relief, also usable on twisty and hilly terrain
and while riding with / behind someone else or in
(heavy) traffic. Also extremely cheap, install in 2
seconds.

* Disadvantage throttlemeister: expensive, you have
to turn (with your pinky) the meister in direction
throttle OPEN in order to DISENGAGE. Both the pinky
action, the time it takes and the direction make it
a bit sucky to operate and potentially unsafe. Being
a throttle lock, you can basically only use it when
riding straight and level with little traffic in front
of you and when riding solo.
* Disadvantage VC: depending on the bike it might be
hard to fit (can be very easy as well, I couldn't put
it on my GS). It's also very important to set up the
knob friction properly, this can take some tweaking.
Once it's set up ok, it will not require any attention,
just switch it on and it's got the right tension right
away (as you set it) and you can switch it off right away.
And being a throttle lock, only usable on straight and
empty freeways without friends (or riding lead).
* Disadvantage Throttlerocker: you have to be sure to
not turn it too high, otherwise it might interfere
when braking. When riding full throttle you can't
use it very effectively.

In all the years while using all these products I
found out that I was actually never using the VC nor
the Wunderlich throttlemeister equivalent, because the
throttlerocker was already enough to prevent cramp in
my arm, hand and wrist. And I rarely found myself on
empty freeways, even when so I was usually riding with
someone else. So on my T-max (to Rome in 2 days) and
on my Sprint I just use my throttlerocker. Second
favourite is the VC (you might need some install tips
if you go for that) and last the throttlemeister.

If you go for the throttlerocker, I would go for the
new type II they have. That will fit on the slimmest
grips (with the velcro). Just my €0.02, which converts
to around almost $0.03.

Emile
www.piloot.com