Re: [ST] Helmets in panniers(was: New ST)

Come on guys! Why is everybody so obsessed with how many helmets will fit in one pannier? When I'm riding, I usually have my helmet on my head not in the trunk. Go out and ride! Leave the trunk stories to the Goldwingers.

Zoltan

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gavin Lawrie" <gavin.lawrie@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 5:48 PM
Subject: RE: [ST] Helmets in panniers(was: New ST)

On 15 May 2005, at 12:27, Gavin Lawrie wrote:

I have an '03, and try as I might I'm not able to get a helmet in either side. Schuberth S1 and a Shoei (old, not sure model). Would be interested to know which full-faces do fit in.

Encouraged by all the reports of getting helmets to fit in the ST panniers, I went out this evening and tried the various instructions provided to see if I could get my Schuberth into a pannier. I am delighted to say that eventually I worked it out - visor pointing towards front of bike, with top of helmet facing up, in the RH pannier it fits! Quite why this is a combination I had not tried before is unknown to me - but I am also useless at things like those metal and wood puzzles that turn up as Christmas presents - I can usually get them apart but not back together again... (and I have never cracked the Rubik Cube either...).

Anyhow - thanks to all for the hints.  Great result.

Ever the optimist, does anyone know how to stop them leaking? Was on a brief tour through Europe two weeks ago (ride report coming when I can write it - in interim some photos here: http://homepage.mac.com/ glawrie/Bike_Trips/Menu.html ) and two nights it rained and the following mornings I had to dry out the panniers (about half a cup of water in each). Contents actually got wet during the one wet day of riding. During the late 80s and 90s I had bikes with Krauser Panniers (two different models) - and they never ever leaked, and I'm told Givi's are the same... why the ST has to have such inferior kit when rest of bike is so good is beyond me.

Regards

Gavin Lawrie
ST'03