Re: [ST] 99 sprint st chain adjusting question

On 19 May 2005, at 13:45, Rupert Galea wrote:

The vertical movement of the chain must be 1.4 - 1.6 inches (35-40mm)

Hi

Idle question - is there a convention about how this movement is measured? What I normally do is measure from 'top of chain at rest position to top of chain when pushed up as far as it will go' by holding a metal tape measure behind the chain (as viewed from side) and doing the pushing up with a screwdriver (or what ever is to hand). But this always seems (or is implemented by me at least) as a manoeuvre most likely lacking in scientific rigour (where is the 'tightest spot in the chain' after all...). Would value guidance on this from those who know better :)

Regards

Gavin Lawrie
ST'03