[ST] Helmets and standards

OK, time to dust off the "no requirements" speech regarding helmets.  As the
listers have discussed and the Snell response to the Motorcyclist article
went into fairly well, there are numerous testing standards in the US and
Europe, hell, maybe even in China.  And perhaps the standards are related to
some notion of how much mechanical shock to the head will likely cause
various levels of injury.  But in all of this, and 50 years of Snell, no one
has ever written a requirement for what a helmet must do.  Surely, the
helmet designers are "required" to produce designs that pass test standards,
but a standard is not a performance requirement.  So, we the users are left
with making our own choices (not a bad thing) about how much and what
protection is enough.  Just realize that the test standards really amount to
shades of grey, and the best protection is riding with a code red awareness
level and never having to rely on the helmet to save you.  And if you ever
do need the helmet, I hope you chose the right one, whichever one that is.

Rich (Thunderdawg) Rumble