Re: [ST] 99 sprint st chain adjusting question

In a previous email, Gavin Lawrie wrote:
Idle question - is there a convention about how this movement is measured? What I normally do is measure from 'top of chain at rest position to top of chain when pushed up as far as it will go' by holding a metal tape measure behind the chain (as viewed from side) and doing the pushing up with a screwdriver (or what ever is to hand). But this always seems (or is implemented by me at least) as a manoeuvre most likely lacking in scientific rigour (where is the 'tightest spot in the chain' after all...).

That's the approach that I use. As long as you're measuring the same point on the chain you should be OK.

As for finding the tight spot check the measurement in a few places. Sometimes you can see the area where the tight spot is without measuring.

Would value guidance on this from those who know better :)

Like the bumblebee that doesn't know that it is aerodynamically unable to fly, I don't know any better but my chain still drive the rear wheel.

-- Steve Lawler Verona, NJ, USA

2001 Sprint ST "Blue Devil"

"If you don't know what to do, call the media and at least give the appearance of doing something."
-- David Peterson