To: <ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2005 10:27 AM
Subject: [ST] Ride/Seat report

How do all. Wanted to share a couple things that may be of interest to some.

Last weekend I went on what, for me, was a pretty long ride--380 miles. I
live near Mammoth Lakes (Mammoth Mountain) in California. Went South to Big
Pine, headed East on 168/266 which takes you over Westguard and a couple
other passes to 95, South to 267 West to Scotty's Castle, on down into Death
Valley, back up 190/136 to Lone Pine and home (actually Crowley Lake). Also
hit Lower Rock Creek road on the way to and from.

If you live in California or Nevada, or anywhere else on the planet for that
matter, and have never been through the 168/266 section, you should put it
on your list of things to do. Its one of the most fun and beautiful (if you
like high desert, which I do) roads I've ever been on. Very windy, lots of
dips and humps, and very little traffic. Just watch for sand and gravel.
Those dips are there for flooding, and the cages often get off the pavement
in the tighter turns and pull up gravel onto the road. The 190/136 section
is really cool too. Plenty of twisties and scenery. However, there's a fair
amount of traffic, given it's the main artery in and out of Death Valley.
All great fun though. A bunch of passes in the 3-7,000 foot range, and of
course, Death Valley is below sea level. Can you say "YeeeHaa"?

It was also the first time I'd done any time on the Corbin seat I bought
used from a guy on EBay. WOW! Can't believe the difference! As has been
pointed out by others on the list, the Corbin makes the reach to the bars
and the ground a little farther, which takes some getting used to,
especially if you're somewhat vertically challenged like me. But I converted
to standard handlebars and I'm more used to dirt bikes so don't mind having
to stand on tip-toes anyway. But the comfort is worth anything. With the
stock seat I was standing on the pegs after 100 miles. And if I'd done the
380....it's hard to imagine. My butt probably would have gone gangrenous and
had to be amputated! Not that I can't afford to lose the weight, but it
makes it tough to sit in front of a keyboard--probably keep sliding off the
chair.

Anyway, if anybody was considering the Corbin, I like mine.

Thanks,
Bob
01 Black RS