Re: [ST] Scorpion Helmets - first impression

Thanks, Jonathan. I'm the one who was interested in the EXO 700. Good report!

Zoltan
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jonathan" <jonathanrellis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, May 22, 2005 1:19 PM
Subject: [ST] Scorpion Helmets - first impression

With all the recent discussion about Scorpion Helmets (Snell vs DOT aside),
I decided to check them out, as my current lid, an HJC Symax will have been
in use for three years next month. I looked at the exo 400 up at Cycles 128
in Beverly MA (149.99 for graphics), but didn't care for the vent controls,
but the fit and finish otherwise was excellent. They only had the exo 400.
I then happened to be riding out further west and stopped at Motosports in
Aurburn MA, which also carries the line, and looked at the exo 700 (199.99
graphics). The design differences are small and are mainly the materials
and the vents and their controls (not considering the colors etc). I liked
the fit and the vent controls were numerous and easy to use with gloves
compared to the exo 400. So I ended up picking one up. Riding with it is
obviously much quieter than the Symax, but it is also a heck of a lot
quieter than my older HJC full face and the Shoei RF800 that I used to have.
The optics are very clear and I couldn't get any fogging on the shield at
all. If you have a long (front to back) and narrow (side to side) head, I
would check it out. Excellent fit and very comfortable. The biggest thing
I noticed was that I could actually feel the air coming through and going
over my scalp. All other helmets, I have never been able to ever really
feel any ventilation - A + on the ventilation! In terms of lifting at
speed, I only got up to about 70 mph on this run, but did not have any lift
or buffeting. Auburn also carries the exo 400, but they are 20 bucks more
(which I pointed out to them as well as being 20 bucks higher then the
MSRP!) I am not plugging or advertising either dealer, just pointing out
the two that are near home and work - your experience will vary as I am not
a professional and didn't perform this on a closed course!

Cheers,

Jonathan

03 Sprint ST - Al-U-minium