[ST] replacement chain for 1999 Sprint ST

I need your help again.
   I set out to adjust the chain.  I found a tight spot where it seems a
link or two has stretched.  This causes a tight spot that I can feel slow
the wheel down as I turn it.  It shows up on the front and rear sprockets.
>From what I can gather on the internet, this model cam with an "O" ring type
chain, however it now has a rivet type, or non "O" ring type.  The bike has
a little over 12,000 miles on it.  I was considering changing the front
sprocket from 18 to 17, as a 17 was included when I bought the bike and I
can spare the top end speed for some low end rpm for the tight curves.
   My question is:  If I change out the sprocket, I will have to remove a
link or two anyway, so would it be ok to remove the tight one(s)?  The rest
of the chain seems fine.  Or would it be best to replace the chain with the
"O" ring type?

Stephen

p.s.
Thanks for answering my previous questions.  You folks are really a big
help.