Re: [ST] Metallurgy

Rich,

I'm no metallurgist either but I sense that you're not wrong about this particular material. One, the lever having been permanently bent is already weakened. Two, the heating and re-bending of the lever will most likely further weaken the lever at that point. I don't know enough about the actual compositional makeup of the lever to speculate about how much it was weakened or how it might react to further heating and bending. Would it ever fail, I don't know. But for my money I'd just replace the damaged part and never have to think about it again. It'd be a pretty bad day when you went to grab a fist full of brake in an emergency only to have the lever snap off in your hand :(.

Nate
00SprintRS

Masiak, Richard wrote:
I'm no metallurgist. But, won't heating and bending it (or any piece of metal
for that matter) affect/change the internal crystal/grain structure of the metal
probably making it weaker than it was originally? Especially a soft metal like
the brake lever?

Rich