Re: [ST]rear hub play

On 5/31/05, Masiak, Richard <Richard_Masiak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm a little late with this thread, but I've got question(s)for the 2000 RSer's out there.  With all of the talk lately about wheel bearing seizure, I'm getting paranoid.  With my rear wheel off (replacing my flat tire), I 'm in process of reassembling everything and......
>
> 1) How much play should I have in the cush drive interface?
>
> 2) I spied a pair of "bearing assemblies", how many are there in the rear wheel?
>
> 3) Since they are sealed, how does one inspect them for this "seizure" problem and/or wear?
>
> I've got about 23,000 miles on the original equipment bearings.
>
> 4) Should the bearings be periodically replaced regardless?  and what is that magical age? (20K, 30K, 50K miles?)
>
> Rich

Rich,
My front wheel bearings failed at 22.6K miles. It is hard to be sure
what caused them to fail but it seemed like there was a lack of
grease. Since I am the second owner it is possible that the previous
owner used a power washer on the bike. You can see a picture of it
here
http://www.rgalea.com/bikes/st/my_st.html
An acquaintance of mine had the same thing happen to his speed triple

My local mechanic charged me $10 each for front wheel bearings
(standard 6005-2RS).

You can pop the grease covers of most bearings with a small
screwdriver. I think it is a good idea to re-grease them when changing
tires.  Since you do not have a single sided swing arm your rear wheel
should have a bearing on each side.
Rupert