Re: [ST] Digest vs. Email (was Tiger...)

I used a gmail account for some time, but have switched back to a Yahoo one for my personal email - #1 reason?  Folders.  There are not folders/you cannot create folders in gmail.  Instead, they have something that basically adds a flag of sorts to the email.  Then you can see any email that has that flag attached.

For example, you can add an "ST" tag to anything that comes from this list.  When you look at your Inbox you see ALL emails (I hated this).  Then you select the flag you want, and then you will see only those emails.  Again, I hated having all emails in my inbox all of the time - I like a tidy Inbox for things that I need to tend to or are new.  I either then delete them, or put them in a folder if I need/want to retain.  I found myself having a huge messy inbox, and not knowing what I really needed and wanted.

The advantage to this flagging is that you can assign multiple flags to an email.  So an email, from say Steve Duncan, to the ST list can have the flag for "ST" and you would see it when you ask for those emails.  You could also assign a flag to his emails for say...people with the slow colored motocycles...hehehe.  But more seriously, you could attach a flag to his emails (and others from other lists) for amusing stories.  So then when you ask for that flag, you would get all the emails for that flag.  It's like being able to put one message into many folders without having to have many copies of the same email.  Great idea, it just didn't work for me....

The threading/conversations is nice, but not worth the trade off to me.

Just my 2 cents on gmail......

Matt Heyer
...with the fast colored ST.....   :)

Nathan Maher <nate@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
One email seemed to be just easier for me to find time to read. I know
it's the same volume of material and all but I just used to sit down at
lunch and read the digest. It's certainly harder to be involved in any
of the threads as a digest subscriber.

But your current setup sounds quite nice and is the best I've heard of.
I may have to look into something like that. I've got a gmail account so
I may shift my subscription to that.

Regards,

Nate
00SprintRS