[ST] 2005 ST Letter To Triumph Australia

Enjoy.
Brett,
Sydney.

Base motorcycle.

The 2005 Sprint ST is a great evolution to an already great motorcycle. All the necessary elements come together to form a real world, user friendly package.

Having ridden approximately 3500 kilometres on this motorcycle so far, I have identified a number of issues that I feel would make this motorcycle even better and enable it to perform fantastically as weekend fun machine, long distance tourer and practical everyday transport.

Heat: Heat emanating from the engine and not getting directed away from the rider was an issue on my 1999 Sprint ST. Although I did learn to live with this during four and a half years and some 85,500 kilometers of ownership, I was expecting that this would have been addressed on the new model.

Glove box: The glove box is a welcome addition. However, making it waterproof would have made it even better and a lot more useful. A separate storage area for the tool kit and manual folder would also make the glove box more useful.

Styling.

Overall the styling of the new model is great.

Pannier Rails: The addition of the pannier rails in their present position detracts greatly from the lines and look of the motorcycle. A design where these are more integrated as with the previous model would be a welcome change.

Rear Hugger & Tail Guard: A rear hugger and tail guard as standard equipment seem to be reasonable inclusions. For Triumph not to offer these as accessories is baffling. From a styling perspective as well as protection from the amount of debris that is thrown from the back tyre onto the rear suspension, engine, under seat exhaust, etc. Although it is subjective, the addition of these items also enhances the look of the motorcycle markedly.

Tail Pipe Cover: The cover piece for the end of the exhaust pipes could be more of an integrated design. At present, it looks like it's an add-on, detracting from the smart styling of the motorcycle.

Mirrors: The position and size of the mirrors is very good. The triangular shape of the top is a little annoying as this reduces their effectiveness. It?s almost as if there is a piece missing. Personally I prefer the inner top corner of each mirror to be more of a 90 degree corner rather than the 45 degree shape currently in use.

Panniers.

The three box pannier system is the most disappointing aspect of the 2005 Sprint ST.

The only redeeming features are the increased capacity, the changeable colour panels and the inclusion of inner bags for all three boxes.

Lids: These are very flimsy. Whilst closed and locked and using very little effort, I can separate the corner from the base and put my arm inside. A motivated individual could easily do worse. This is a serious security concern.

External hinges: These are also a security concern.

Size and Shape: The increase in size from the previous model is negated considerably by the tapered shape of the bases and lids. For truly practical use the top box should be able to fit two full face helmets. By way of a practical example, the previous model could comfortably accommodate a full carton of 24, 375ml cans of beer! Such a shape is impossible to fit into the current top box.

Locking mechanism: The housing encroaches considerably into all three boxes, further reducing the usable luggage space. The opening mechanism can only be described as fiddly at best. Critically, one handed operation is impossible, as is opening and closing the boxes quickly.

Carry Handles: The shape of carry handles on all of the boxes makes it uncomfortable to carry them particularly when loaded.

Bike width: When fitted, the dimensions of the panniers make the rear of the motorcycle very wide. A great improvement would be if each pannier were to be made narrower, reducing the overall width of the rear of the motorcycle when they are fitted. The other dimensions can then be increased to maintain the same volume. Making the sides of the base square rather than tapered, would also create a much more usable luggage space. Once again, each pannier should be able to fit a full face helmet.

I would very much like to have the Triumph three box luggage system on my 2005 Sprint ST, as I had on my 1999 Sprint ST. This motorcycle served me very well as everyday transport, long distance tourer and weekend fun machine for four and a half years.

I would like to have the same experience with my new Sprint ST.

However, as the current luggage system does not work properly and if a suitable solution is not provided, I will be forced to use a Givi or Hepco & Becker system as I need a practical, waterproof, easy to use system offering a degree of security.

I believe this standard and attention to detail is what we have come to expect and Triumph is more than capable of producing such a product to a high standard.
.
I believe that Triumph UK are restyling the current 2005 pannier system due to a series of complaints from current 2005 ST Sprint owners.

I would appreciate being informed of developments as to whether Triumph intends to restyle the 2005 Sprint ST pannier system which will enable me to make a decision to wait for a new system or return the one I have for a refund.

I hope the raising of these issues provides some assistance.

I appreciate your help with this matter.