From: Mike Montville <mjmontville@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Nov 8, 2005 1:05 PM
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ST] dumb question of the day

Very good synopsis, Chris.  For anyone interested in the definitive
treatise by Messrs. Duncan and Pullen, see: http://tinyurl.com/dgvpk

The spring clip, or rather the plastic tab that holds it captive on
some versions, is somewhat fragile -- I broke one installing a bulb
that wasn't fully seated.

To repair it, I fabricated a retainer from a scrap of metal (one
prong of a blade-type fuse), and drilled it to accept the small screw
that's near the plastic retaining tab.  The device holds the spring
clip captive while still allowing it to pivot.

This is delicate installation work, requiring packing with rags the
headlight shell areas where you can irretrievably drop the tiny
pieces.

Mike
P.S.  For stateside folks with access to Advance Auto stores, the
Sylvania Silverstars are discounted until Nov. 26th.  Normally $19.88
ea., they're currently 50% off the second when purchasing two, and
with a $5 rebate (net: $25/pair)