Re: [ST] Stalling

> I have a 2001 that regularly carries 200+lbs of rider and gear and
> additionally, nearly always has the top case attached with raingear
> and
> extra gloves and...  I have been gentle and seen over 49mpg, beaten
> the
> crap out of it and seen 45.5 as the worst.  This bike is all stock,
> AFAIK.  Stock exhaust and airbox, certainly.  And I'm sure it needs a
> tune up.  I have a habit of keeping the bike under 4k when I'm not
> busy
> hustling, though.

The highest I've seen was 44 mpg on the very first tank, when I was
still afraid to use much throttle, and kept highway speeds below 90
because of the questionable rear tire.  The bike had been sitting for
a year, regularly started but not ridden according to the seller.  I
thought mileage might go up a little with fresh oil and getting
loosened back up after sitting a while, but as I got comfortable
enough to use a bit more throttle, mileage has dropped instead.

Around town, my normal shift point is around 5K rpm, steady state
cruising around 3K rpm, never normally using more than about half
throttle.  Doesn't seem like beating on it to me, but everyone has a
different opinion.  On the highway, rpm stay pretty much between
5000-5500 the whole way, depending on traffic.

> And that makes me wonder: Are there regular updates to tunes that are
> worth getting, even if there is nothing apparently wrong with the
> running of your bike?

I asked the tech guy at the Boynton Beach Triumph dealer about
updating the tune, he said as long as the bike was running well,
there was no real reason to update it.  He seemed to think it was
better being a little rich, because the leaner tunes led to "lean
surging" at steady cruising speeds.

Jim