Re: [ST] '05 ST Heat

Interestingly, a fellow rider here traded in his 2001 for a 2005.  Now he is looking to sell it and go back to a 2001.  The main issues are: the ridiculous heat pouring off the bike.  And obviously he is used to some heat from the 2001, but this is much worse.  He actually thinks twice about riding when the weather is warm because it is too uncomfortable.  Additionally, he has noted that the bike takes a while to crank when cold and sputters to life.  The mechanics have looked at this, seen the problem on others, and plan to bring it up at the next tech meeting with Triumph.  Additionally, his wife hates the bike compared to the old one.  The heat from the underseat is too much, the bags do not let her get her feet on the pegs (just her heels really), and the rider sits much further up.  That additional height makes it more difficult to get on and off, and makes her feel much less secure.  All in all, they are not happy, and eating money to go back to the old one.

  Matt Heyer

"CAPT Howard S. Serlick USNR" <serlick@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Brett:
Welcome to the world of ST exhaust heat. I noticed this on my test ride on a
lovely cool day (20 degrees C) in May of this year.
I found the heat to be very uncomfortable and unreasonable and will not buy a
new ST until this problem is sorted.
As a rule, I never buy a bike in its first model year of production. There are
teething problems that must be identified and sorted, and I don't want to be the
"guinea pig".
I'm hoping that the exhaust heat and pannier issues will be addressed,
re-designed, tested and tweaked within the next year. Depending upon what the
results are, I make my purchase decision. Meanwhile, my '03 ST will serve me
quite well. It might be a bit warm in the Summers here in the States, but it's a
far cry cooler than the new models!
Safe riding,
Howard Stephen Serlick
'03 Blue ST