[ST] Hit & Run

A fellow Triumph rider and RoTLE member and his wife were cutoff last Sat.  Andy didn't post it here, but since it's not in the news paper, I'll post it.  We all got to watch out for those drive-by fruities.
Lawmen seeking another hit-and-run driver after Fellsmere accident
By Lamaur Stancil
staff writer
November 17, 2005

FELLSMERE - Arthur and Mary Ellen Bell never caught a close look at the motorist who pulled out in front of them Saturday night.

Fellsmere police did see the man, but not for long. He fled the scene after the accident on County Road 512 near Broadway Street shortly after authorities arrived.

"I'm floored that he just left," said Mary Ellen Bell, 39, who suffered a broken leg in the crash.

The Fellsmere couple, who were riding their motorcycle, are recovering from their injuries this week. Arthur Bell, 44, a construction worker, is out of work for the near future while his broken hand heals. Bell works at a health care center, but hasn't been able to return to work yet.

Fellsmere Police Chief Larry Tippins said the suspect is a Hispanic male who was wearing a dark jogging suit with white stripes on the sleeves and shoulders. The suspect left the accident scene before the officer could jot down the type of car he was driving, Tippins said.

On film from a camera in a police patrol car, the suspect could be seen talking on a cell phone before he left the scene, Arthur Bell said.

The accident happened when the Bells were riding their motorcycle west on C.R. 512 at 7:30 p.m. The other driver was traveling east and turned north on Broadway into the path of the couple.

"We were catapulted over the car," Mary Ellen Bell said. "We both lost consciousness."

By the time either of them woke back up, the police were there, but the suspect was not.

The Indian River County Sheriff's Office is continuing its search for another hit-and-run motorist who struck a toddler in Gifford Friday. Witnesses said a white male motorist in a light red pickup truck hit and injured Nelson Bartee, 1 1/2 years old, in the 4800 block of 34th Avenue.

"We're seeing a lot more hit-and-runs lately," Tippins said. "You're dealing with people who in many cases have no driver's license and no insurance."

Anyone with information about the Fellsmere accident can contact the police department at (772) 571-1360. The Sheriff's Office can be reached at (772) 978-6209 for information about the Gifford hit and run.