Re: [ST] Air Compressor

Plumber's Putty is not what they are referring to.  Plumber's putty is
used to seal things like kitchen faucets to the sink top and is marketed
under names such as Sta-Soft.  It rolls up like silly putty.  The 'joint
compound' they are referring to is commonly referred to as pipe dope and
comes in a little jar with a brush on cap.  Any hardware store will sell
your some 'pipe dope'  they all know what it is and you can use it to
seal the threads in an air compessor line.

That being said, use the teflon tape, just make sure it doesn't get into
the hose, wrap it carefully onto the threads only.

I've been hauling the same 20 gallon campbell Hausfield oil bath
compressor from shop to job site for around 15 years.  I bought it from
Wal Mart of all places for about $350 and change the oil every 6
months.  Still has the original belt on it.  It's as big as I need for
drywall texture guns, nail guns, etc.  It's been abused heartily and
still takes everything I can give it.

For smaller jobs, I've got a 2 gallon Sears oil bath direct drive
compressor I bought for $100.00 a couple of years ago.  I can change the
oil, but it does make a lot of noise.  Only weighs about 20 pounds.

Dan Wallander
Albuquerque, NM