RE: [ST] Oil Consumption

>From: Marc Van Est
>It needed 300 millimeters of oil , last checked by the agents
>when the oil was changed at 1 000kms in May, and I've now
>done 5 500kms. who said its usual for the triple to use a
>little bit of oil in the first few thousand kms.

FWIW, my 2001 Sprint ST has 26000 km so far and has never used
any oil at oil, nothing in the beginning either. It's always
showing practically full in the oil window.

>To check the oil I ran the bike around the block to warm it up,
>then let it stand for five minutes.

To warm it up you generally need to ride a lot more than just
around the block. Don't know how it is on Triumphs exactly,
but on the GS (where the oilcheck is supposed to be done a
few minutes after a real warm up ride) that was needed to
get the oil from the oil-cooler in the system as well.

>I got a shock when the dip stick showed nothing, it took
>100 mills to show at the bottom of the dip stick.
>Should I be worried ?

How is the measurement with the engine cold? Personally I
check it when it's cold and don't mind an oil level which
is not full but at least within the lines (although my Sprint
has continuously kept the oil level at the top of the window).

Emile
www.piloot.com