Re: [ST] Re: NEW BIKE BREAK-IN ( RUNNING IN )

Today I brought this issue up with our RAT group (on Yahoo), and a rep
from one of our two local Triumph dealers chimed in (this one happens to
be a Yamaha dealership as well).  I've included the 'meat' of his posts.

   "Racing ring technology has changed significantly even in the ~30
years I've been in the industry (my god, has it been that long?).
Recently I've seen good results with "dry" assembly - no oil on either
the cylinder or the top half of the piston (just like during normal
running operation), and a drop on the front and back skirt of the
piston. Initial start up,and the first few minutes of running is done at
~ 1/3 of max rpm, normal running from that point. Yamaha (and I believe
Kawasaki) now have specific dealer
prep. break-in procedures for some of their hypersport motorcycles,
this usually involves set rpm and load for periods of up to 5 min.
duration, and road riding with specific loads being applied to the
engine (to a maximum of 7000 rpm in the lower gears) on delivery to
customer the statement: avoid
PROLONGED operation above 7000 rpm. I've seen racers use 0 km. engines
in racing applications, and I've seen conscientious owners "baby" their
bike both during and after break-in, sometimes never running engines
near redline, and the same results are obtained. In either case, the
engines don't consume oil, and dyno testing will show them to be within
a couple % in peak horsepower. I've seen video, and talked to factory
engineers, from my understanding ALL engines are run (to max. rpm) prior
to leaving the factory. I've personally seen out of crate engines
stripped to repair factory defects showing indications
(carbonized oil, ring polishing) of having been run. My personal
suspicions regarding 1000km break-in has more to do with lawyers,
catastrophic failures, and an attempt to limit speed as a customer
learns a new machine, than with any engine benefits.
   The best news is that it doesn't matter how you break in a new motor,
we
as dealers seldom see engine related failures."

"Remember that we are talking about rings mostly in regards to break-in,
however transmissions and clutches shed steel and other materials into
the oil along with factory machining leftovers. Early (and reasonably
frequent) oil changes maximize engine life."

"I truly believe that most RING break-in is done prior to the dealer
taking delivery, shell type main bearings, transmissions, and camshafts
/ followers are a longer term project."

 .