Re: [ST] Big Things for Triumph

On Sun, 9 Oct 2005, BrettWilson21@xxxxxxx wrote:

The company is looking to increase its annual production from 33,000 to
100,000 bikes per year. In part, the article says "The USA is still seen as a prime
area of growth. Triumph has 15 percent of premium motorcycle market in the UK
and only two percent in America, so guess where the priorities lie."

I reckon all of you in the USA are in a prime position to have some influence
on what Triumph produces for the real world and maybe encourage them to get
back into racing.

Any thoughts?

Yes - I wouldn't encourage them to get back into racing if it was up to me. Not that I wouldn't _like_ to see them racing, but the racing "game" is in my mind an "all or nothing" bet. If you aren't winning, it pretty much isn't worth it and they were wise to get out of it. HondaYamazukisaki seem to rotate through the podium every year or so. How much money would it cost Triumph to get competitive in that game? I think it makes for very expensive advertising.

If they *are* looking to expand in the US market, skipping out on the IMS was probably a bad idea IMHO, but I'm sure they have accountants and they can do the math. Maybe they are going to switch to TV ads. Or maybe they've found that the dealer network is everything and they are going to sink all that money into expanding their network. I don't know what makes the most sense, but I do not think it is racing.

Paul