Re: [ST] Backing it in (was ABS)

I think John Koscinski is the best rider to watch from more recent times. He really perfected the art of "backing it in" to get the inside line on a rider when there seemingly was no room to be had. Sometimes the unsuspecting rider was literally barged out of the way! Then he would power out in a massive powerslide. Truly awesome stuff to watch.

-----Original Message-----
From: Emile Nossin <Emile@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 21:24:32 +0200
Subject: [ST] Backing it in (was ABS)

>From: simonb@xxxxxxxxxxx
>Quite correct, The term the honourable gentleman is looking
>for is "Backing it in" to a corner IIRC.

I know what powersliding is, just wondering if there wasn't
a mix up. But actually locking up a tire to get the bike
twisted for corner entry is a serious technique? How does
that work? I mean for powersliding the bike will eventually
catch up with the sliding wheel, slowly regaining traction
to keep it under control. But braking until the rear wheel
gets into a skid requires more energy at higher speed, so
when slowing down there will not be a slow regain of
traction, opposite to powersliding. Since the footpedal
is very hard to operate subtly with your boot and since
the unweighted rear wheel is very sensitive, I can't see
how to do such an exercise while regaining control (and
not highsiding it). So how does it work?

Emile
www.piloot.com