From: simonb@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: st-triumphnet.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 09:12:34 +0100
Subject: Re: [ST] Backing it in (was ABS)

Quoting Emile Nossin <Emile@xxxxxxxxxx

Quoting Emile Nossin <Emile@xxxxxxxxxx>:

> >From: simonb@xxxxxxxxxxx
> >Quite correct, The term the honourable gentleman is looking
> >for is "Backing it in" to a corner IIRC.
>
> I know what powersliding is, just wondering if there wasn't
> a mix up. But actually locking up a tire to get the bike
> twisted for corner entry is a serious technique?

You do it all the time on dirt bikes.

> How does
> that work? I mean for powersliding the bike will eventually
> catch up with the sliding wheel, slowly regaining traction
> to keep it under control. But braking until the rear wheel
> gets into a skid requires more energy at higher speed, so
> when slowing down there will not be a slow regain of
> traction, opposite to powersliding. Since the footpedal
> is very hard to operate subtly with your boot  and since
> the unweighted rear wheel is very sensitive, I can't see
> how to do such an exercise while regaining control

Now you have hit the nail on the head. The big difference between overweight
sports tourers and critch rockets is the level of feedback you get as to what
the tyres are actually doing. It feels very frightening at first because it
feels like the front and back end is on bearings. But after a while you can
feel exacltly what is going on. The weight of the bike is such that applying
weight on the either foot peg or  pushing on the bars gives an immediate
response from the bike. This is one of the reasons I like the ST so much. It?s
has retains some of the sports bike attributes like feedback. I?ve ridden
things lake Pans and big BMW?s. They all try to isolate the rider from what is
going on. I like to know when I am riding over oil. A can feel it through the
bars. So I can tell it?s slippery. The bike is telling me.  Novice riders
prefer the security of not knowing what is going on. I would recommend all
riders to do some dirt bike riding. It really teaches you how to control a
bike the looks totally out of control. Then when it happens on the road it?s
not a surprise. Just remember you don?t have knobbly tyres fitted &#61514;

> (and
> not highsiding it). So how does it work?

Thumb operated rear brake and traction control. You can hear the bikes
mis-firing. PLus the ability to change the characteristics of the traction
control system while on the track. It's really only speedway technique applied
to tarmac. But still way beond anything I can even hope to do.

--
SimonB