Re: [ST] Rattle Down under thread?

I guess I should have posted more background. The sound is only heard when I am getting the bike onto or off the centerstand, motor turned off. I thought it was: the can (aftermarket) springs acting like a snare, the sidestand and center stand springs acting like snares, the rubber bumper was missing for the c/s to hit, loose c/s bolts--none of the above. I do not hear it when I am riding, but that may be due to my earplugs and wind noise. I began to follow the sound by whacking the exhaust system with a rubber mallet-- I could totally replicate it. This lead me to pull all the plastic and the can off to investigate further. And further leading me to something in the exhaust--rock, acorn, bolt, etc. I thought it was a loose heat shield at first prior to pulling the plastics off from the sound of the rattle. I confirmed tension in the chain to eliminate that.

With the can off, using a flexi grabber thing, I can replicate it when the grabby end is in the collector hitting whatever it is. I tried to run a strong magnet along the header to draw out what is in there but with no luck. I attemped to run the bike w/o the can to see if it would release with no luck (wow, that was loud). After reading the orginal posts and the mention of there being ceramic honeycomb material for the catalytic converter it does sound like metal on metal or ceramic on metal. I cannot grab it with the grabby thing.

SO, I was looking for an understanding of: the material that could be in the header for the CA bikes; the likelyhood of it coming apart; whether or not I can continue to run the bike for the few days remaining in my short season; and if it means I need to pull the header, cut the pipe and ream out the material OR replace the entire header.

Matt Knowles <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm betting it's not the exhaust, even though you can duplicate it with
one of those flexi grabby things. (What ever the hell that is)

>From your mileage, I'm guessing you need a new chain.

The chain rattle will be noticed on deceleration and to me it sounds
like a plastic shopping bag is blowing in the wind behind you. If that
doesn't match what you're hearing, then by all means continue looking
at the exhaust.

On Oct 15, 2005, at 11:43 AM, Todd J wrote:

> What ever happened with the "downunder rattle" thread? My 01 CA
> equipped bike has developed this rattle and it is getting annoying.
> Not certain if I just noticed it or it just started. This is a "new to
> me" bike that had 12K on the clock and now is around 15K.
>
> I have pulled the can and connector pipe off the header and can
> actually replicate the sound by touching it with one of those flexi
> grabby things. It is definately in the collector pipe. Can someone
> please explain the schematics of the collector? Is there ceramic
> honeycomb material in there?

Matt Knowles - Ferndale, CA -
http://www.knowlesville.com/matt/motorcycles
'99 Sprint ST - for going fast and far (2CZUSA)
'01 KLR650 - for exploring the North Coast backroads
'97 KLX300 & '01 Lakota - for playing in the dirt
'79 KZ400 - just because it was the first vehicle I ever owned