Re: [ST] Rattle Down under thread?

Hey Rick--Thanks for your input. The past posts referenced the ceramic material but I could not find the resolution--it seemed that most of the discussion went on about chain slack. The potential for power loss and an obstructed pipe was the conclusion that I was looking for and now my fear. I have not experienced it yet, but I assume it is coming. Lucky for me, I do not have an emission test requirement for the bike--now. I asked the dealer for a quote on that header assembly; I almost dropped the phone. It was quoted over $1000. Well, it looks like I have my winter project.

Thanks for the assistance.
Todd

Rick & Joyce <rnjwes@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Todd,
My wild-ass guess would be that your bike's catalyst - it's a very
hard ceramic honeycomb material which resides* in the collector - has
come loose and is rattling. This happens in automotive applications
and I see no reason why motorcycles should be different.

It may not affect performance in the short term but at some point it's
possible that you'll experience some exhaust obstruction and notice a
dramatic loss of performance and an increase in heat output. If this
happens, do NOT continue riding, as engine melt-down may occur.

If you want to have your breath taken away, phone your dealer and get
a price quote on a replacement header assy w/catalyst. According to
my microfiche, the part # is T2201309, though supersessions are
common. Perhaps another liSTer has a low-mileage take-off. Failing
that, I'd be checking eBay...

As to the ream-out option, I doubt that the non-catalyst, 49-state
part would make the emissions grade, should testing be required in
your area ;O).

--
HTH,
Rick in Oregon

*The later bikes have the catalyst in the silencer.