[ST] Women riders (was Tokyo)

>From: dbardell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>I have noticed the Motorcycle Safety classes I have taaught this summer
>sometimes consist of 50% women.  I think this is noticed by the  big
>four and this may be Honda's attempt to lure more women buyers.
>Seat height looks low, but the whole bike has a bulbous look.  Wonder
>what the true weight is? Dave Bardell Millerstown, PA

I think most of the riders taking lessons here (we need to go to a
training school always in order to take exam) are women nowadays.
Still most people actually riding everyday are still male. Wonder
why women find it so popular now?

I do not think that concept bike is aimed at women at all, more to
the power-cruiser crowd or so. Saddle height might not be that high,
but it most probably, like every other maxiscooter nowadays, is very
wide. The Honda CBF600S is specifically aimed at female, German riders
though, that use it for everyday riding. It's actually a big hit in
Holland and Germany, turned out there was a good market for a simple,
light and non-threathing (not a lot of power, docile, easy) bike.
Bandits are also very popular in a lot of European countries.

The DN01 is marketed as sportsbike, power, with relative agressive
styling. Doesn't seem like an aim towards women at all...
The FJR1300AE (in Europe AS instead of AE) is also semi automatic,
but that doesn't imply it's meant for women, does it? I wouldn't
mind one :-). It's much more efficient to shift like that, it's
bound to be sportier and smoother than the conventional box.
But, like ABS, I guess there will always be people that think
they are always quicker in handling and thinking than any computer
or automated machine, especially motorcyclist :-).

Emile
www.piloot.com