Re: [ST] DN01 Transmission musings

Nice write-up, Jeff.  The CVT's I saw back in the '80's [on Formula
440's - small open-wheel spec racers utilizing a snowmobile engine]
were two-pulley affairs with a belt running between them.  The
variable spacing between the pulley halves would change the effective
size of the pulleys, centrifugally IIRC.  The engine pulley would get
"larger" as the diff. pulley got "smaller" changing the drive ratio.
Modern electro-hydraulic control technology has added reliability to
the design.  Anyway, the cars sounded like a pack of angry hornets
fading into the distance.

Another high-tech transmission in production - VW & Audi call it the
Direct Shift Gearbox (DSG) - was first seen in the 2004 Audi TT and is
now available in the New Beatle TDI.   From http://tinyurl.com/dgd6h :
"... DSG radically shortens shift times by anticipating and
preselecting the next gear. With one gear driving the wheels and
another poised to take over when the computer (or the driver) gives
the nod, the act of shifting becomes a lightning-quick relay race. Two
clutches alternately open and close as one gear after another goes
from at-bat to on-deck status in a scant two-tenths of a second, with
no interruption of the torque flow during full-throttle acceleration."

It's just a matter of time before more of these technologies spin off
to motorcycling.  I for one, welcome them.
--
Rick in Oregon
'01 Sprint ST