Re: [ST] FW: CVTs and such

>From: Rich Rumble
>Hey, Emile, enlighten us all on the DAF.  Did it not have (or maybe still
>does) some crude form of CVT?  As I recall, there was some lever on the
>dash that was moved horizontally by the driver to change the drive ratio.

The DAF variomatic is a pretty old car, made in the 60's and 70's:
http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/daf/daf-history.html
www.hubcapcafe.com/ocs/pages01/daf_6201.htm
http://www.daf.dse.nl/
http://www.dafclub.nl/
http://www.ritzsite.demon.nl/DAF/DAF_cars_intro.htm
http://mclellansautomotive.com/photos/B20712.jpg
http://mclellansautomotive.com/photos/B9579.jpg

I checked with a friend who has one about a lever. But there is
no lever for changing the drive ratio, since it is a complete
automatic, variomatic :-). You just have a lever that changes
the direction (drive or reverse). And because of that feature
they had a tv show in the 70's or 80's with Daf's racing each
other in reverse :-).

Emile
www.piloot.com