Re: [ST] st Digest, Vol 7, Issue 37

>From: Bob Nixon
>1)Ever wonder why most motorcycle racers are short?

Valentino Rossi is 6' / 1.82 m tall, not that short...
And he's not the worst kinda racer, is he?

>2)At 6'2" you should have bought a BMW.

I find the Sprint perfect for tall people, the pegs
are also positioned better (roomier, lower) compared
to my R1150GS. The stock screen is especially good
for tall people. The stock GS and also R1150RT screen
is not tall enough though. So I do not agree with you...

>3)Even when I sit upright, my cheap HJC flip-up doesn't
>buffet like a real Sportbike windshield did (03GSXR1000)
or most anything else short of a Goldwing or BMW R1150RT.

That's because you are too short for the stock screen.
The buffet layer will hit the lower part of your helmet
than, causing the turbulence. An even shorter screen or
a high flip up like you have now should work better.
The stock screen is perfect for people of 6'2"+.

>4)I don't think you'll find the stock shield any better,
>especially with the bar risers.

At 6'3" the stock screen is just perfect for me, with
raisers it should be even better, lifting my helmet
even higher up for speeds over 160 km/h.

>And don't even consider a FJR-1300 with adjustable shield.
>In reading some of the stories, there is NO comfy position
>for THAT screen.

The R1150RT screen is too short for me, the FJR screen from
the old model was also a bit too short. But the new FJR1300
model got a screen that is wider and with a bigger adjustment
range, so you should be able to get it into a goldwing mode
now (like the ST1300 I guess)... if you would want that.

>Seriously, I have the same setup as you, riser too, and can
>actually duck under my ZG screen. I'm about 5'8" NOW!!!

I'm guessing that Matt will have his helmet right in the
(more) turbulent layer than, just like you have it with
the stock screen. For me the stock Sprint screen is the
best screen I ever had on a bike.

Emile
www.piloot.com