Re: [ST] dreaded oil Q...

> I just made my second oil change with gold cap. I did about 4k miles
without problems.
David,
I don't want it to sound like I'm picking on you, but how does anyone know
what any oil does in 4k miles!!!   Red cap, gold cap, purple cap - is there
anyone out there doing oil analysis after every oil change?  If you did that
after every change since the 600 mile check you might actually have
something.  The Concours Owners Group had several guys doing that.  There
was a lot of evidence to show that even 10K miles might be premature for an
oil change.  The fact is that there isn't hardly any scientific evidence
that shows any oil that meets Triumph specs is better than other regardless
of price.  Matter of fact there isn't a single "scientific" test to say
anything about longevity in motorcycles relative to any brand of oil.  (MCN
had a test but it had more holes in it than a ton of Swiss cheese.  Sport
Rider tried, but their attempt to be scientific was truly sad.)  Probably
the only valid oil indicator is a negative one.  If you use an oil and you
have clutch slippage problems, don't use it.

Me, I'm switching back to Amsoil 10w40 after using red cap a year or so.
Why 10w40 rather than 15w50?   Most hot 50's will be 40wt or below within a
couple hundred miles, but the 40wt stays stable for much longer.  Why
Amsoil? It neutralizes acids a bit better than most which is important to me
because I don't ride every day.  Is Amsoil better than Gold Cap?  Don't
know, but I do know both are good oils and there a bunch more out probably
just as good.
Rod