Re: [ST] Front fork bottoming with RT Valves.

Quoting Dan Wallander <newsgroup@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> There is a small spring under the damper rod to cushion topping the
> fork, there is nothing to cushion bottoming the fork.  I'm thinking your
> forks are not set up properly if you are bottoming them on a speed bump,
> or you are hitting the bump way too fast and hard.

Way to hard :) I agree. But there should still be no loud bang as the forks
bottom. It sounded like the springs went coil bound.

> If you have 20,000 miles more or less on stock forks, your springs are
> sacked out and it's time to put race tech in there anyway (up through 04
> years).

I have 1kg race tech springs and spacers.

>  Check your steering head bearings for play and service them if
> you haven't done so yet.  Rebuild your forks, new springs and Race Tech
> if you have the dough.

I will be interested to look inside my forks to see if the aluminium spacers
are still intact.

> I weigh over 220 pounds and have never bottomed the fork.  Current setup
> is two turns on the RT emulators, 3mm on the tubes over the upper triple
> clamp, 10wt fork oil at 150mm from top (forks on bike on center stand),
> two turns on preload from full out, using 1kg race tech springs.

I will have to compare my settings.

> Every time I take the forks apart, clean and reassemble (every
> year/about 12,000 miles), the bike feels like new again.  It's an
> amazing difference.  I'm still not completely satisfied with the front
> end setup, but I get it closer each year.  Maybe by the time I hit
> 100,000 miles I'll finally have it right!

My original oil was like piss-water at 4k when I fitted the RT kit. I wonder if
it is the same now.

--
SimonB