Re: [ST] Front fork bottoming with RT Valves

Simon,
I think you said you went about 220lbs???  When I ran the RT "computer" at
around 220 it said 0.75Kg/mm for springs and that was even with options
for racing, expert and prefer stiff. (my experience with that "computer"
has been it really doesn't change much except for rider weight)  That
means you have a spring that should be more stiff than required, unless it
is totally the wrong spring and mismarked - that does happen.  You can
check that because that rate is just what it says, it takes three quarters
of a kilogram to compress one mm if spring travel.

As far as fork oil going to water (I know, not literally), I find that
hard to comprehend.  The original was somewhere around 7wt (no one
including Showa seems to be able to give a good, exact answer on that one)
which is pretty light anyway.  Even 15wt fork oil feels pretty light, but
that stuff doesn't come close to taking the abuse of engine oil so it is
really hard to understand how it would undergo such a change in its
physical properties.

I do not use RT springs on my ST but did on my last bike.  They were
significantly shorter than my stock springs.  That could be a factor, but
there are a lot of guys using RT straight rates that don't bottom.  My
HyperPro's state in their marketing literature that they flat won't bottom
out and mine sure have not, but then again they are the "inferior" fully
progressive springs.

Hope I'm not being a pest.  This subject intrigues me.  I just rebuilt my
forks, even though they didn't need it.  New bushing, seals and RT
emulators.  If you do find an ultimate cause, I sure would like to know
what it is.

Rod