Re: [ST] Front fork bottoming with RT Valves

> It said 1kg when I looked 750kg/mm is standard Triumph ST

When I sent my email, I ran a check to make sure and it was .750kg/mm which
surprised me.  I used 900 Sprint ST 02-04, but there isn't any differance
from 99-04 as far as the parts fische. I would have thought it would have
been higher.  On my Connie it was 1.25kg/mm but the highest RT made was
1.0kg/mm.  That made me think that the ST would have been in that range too.
In any event, I believe that 1.0kg/mm should be too stiff rather than too
light, and even more capable of handling the bump without bottoming.

> It doesn't change its properties. But water seams to get into the oil
> through the seals. I haven't had a look as yet but will do soon. I will
> take the tops off the forks and put the jack under the front wheel to
> push the wheel up to the top. You have to measure the distance wit hthe
> forks compressed.
I just put seals in and I'd bet dollars to donuts I could run a water hose
right on my forks and the dust wiper and seal wouldn't allow a drop into the
fork oil.

> Is still haven't found out if it's a mechanical or hydraulic bump stop.
>
> > I do not use RT springs on my ST but did on my last bike.  They were
> > significantly shorter than my stock springs.
>
> You get an aluminium tube to cut to size.

The point that I was trying to make is that a shorter straight versus a
longer straight rate of the same rating makes for less total fork travel.
The spring should be long enough to provide a coil to coil distance that
will provide full fork travel without binding, hopefully before the mudguard
slams into the triple clamp.  The spacer is just there so that preload and
fork/spring travel all work in that distance between fully extended and
cramming the triple clamp.  As far as the bumper stop being mechanical or
hydraulic, there isn't any such animal as a bumber stop on those Showa's
that I can see other than the spring becoming coil bound or the lowers just
ramming into the tubes.  I really don't want to find out which is right on
that one because both aren't really good alternatives.

It would be nice if it were the center stand.  It would make a good topic
for discussion and a lot cheaper fix.