Re: [ST] chain tension on Single Sided Swingarm

Chain tension is maximum when the countershaft sprocket, swingarm pivot
and rear wheel axle all line up, but that isn't necessarily the criteria
to be used while measuring chain slack.

I understand that the exact wording has changed somewhat in newer issues
of the Sprint service manual, but in my issue, step #1 of chain slack
inspection (for both the RS and the ST) says "Set the motorcycle up on
the side or centre stand".  It then goes on to describe exactly where to
check for vertical movement of the drive chain.

I take this to mean that there's not enough of a difference to worry
about.  I haven't actually had a close look, but my guess is that the
rear axle hangs a bit low when the bike is on the centre stand and sits
a little high when the bike rests on the sidestand, and that the 35-40mm
spec takes this into account (note also that the chain slack spec is the
same for the RS with the DSSA).

On a related issue, my experience has been that most mechanics, Triumph
included, tend to adjust the chain too tight on Triumphs equipped with
the SSSA.  This saps power, causes excessive chain/sprocket wear and can
lead to a leak from the countershaft seal.  It's better to be a little
on the loose side.

HTH,
Neil