Re: [ST] carbon silencer, tires and other maintenance issues

Hey Jim,

Congratulations on the near new ST. Glad you like it!

If you plan on doing any touring or everyday to and from work type riding,
then a dual compound tyre such as the 020 is the go. Being a heavy bike the ST
is hard on rear tyres and the wear, of course, increases if you load up and go
on a trip. As for which tyre is the best is simply a matter of personal taste
and the type of riding you do. There have been plenty of tyre threads here and
i would go so far as to say that of all the brand name tyres, none are what
you would call "bad". I put 85,000kms on a '99 ST and only used Bridgestone
010's. Mostly because a mate of mine supplies then so I paid well under retail,
but I was happy with the performance.

At around 20,000kms your suspension will start to show signs of wear. The ST
responds very well to a suspension upgrade. If you like to ride hard and find
that it steers/changes direction a little slow, you can raise the forks in the
triple clamps by 2 or 3mm. Again, there is plenty of experience on this list
when you are ready for this.

The stock seat get quite uncomfortable after a while. I can personally
recommend Sargent for a replacement item.

I would have loved to have put the carbon pipe on my ST, but they are illegal
in New South Wales, Australia ($500 fine). Having said that, they do sound
awesome and are a lot easier to keep clean than the polished one. Just make sure
it has the latest tune and all will be well.

It sounds like you are getting the recall work done and a service so it
should be good to go after that.

Enjoy!

Brett
Sydney