[ST] Cranky start

Common knowledge perhaps for full time
listers, but I was pleasantly surprised to
find out that the long crank before every
start on every Sprint ST (also the new
models apparently and actually on every
Triumph?) is a feature, not a flaw. My
R1150GS had a long crank before a cold
start, but that was because of the high
compression and sucky battery / starting
system (in my opinion and experience at
least). It started right away when warmed
up though, but not the Sprint.

To get to the point, I read in a Dutch
review the new Sprint ST also has this
long crank that gives the rider the
impression that either the battery is
almost empty or something is not working
properly. When they gave the feedback
to the guy of Triumph Benelux (which they
do after every test in a little interview)
he said this is because of the manner in
which the injectionsystem determines the
ignition sequence; the crankshaft has to
turn for a short while first because the
pickup sensor works together with the air-
intake pressure-sensor for the sequential
ingiting and injecting. I don't know exactly
what that means, but it sounds cool :-).

Well, that was all... sorry for interupting
the weekend... move along now...

Emile
www.piloot.com