[ST] Real Sprint Question

This question is for RS owners, pertaining to my 2000 Sprint RS.

Background: Lately I've been noticing little black/grey grease type specs on my trousers starting from the knee up, but mostly in the croch area.  I've never really noticed this in the past.  Although, being summer I'm wearing lighter pants.

QUESTION:  Could these specs be coming from the engine or the street?  Has anyone ever seen this happen before?

Rich