Re: [ST] Real Sprint Question

The only time I experienced something similar was on my '80 Honda CB750SS, which coincidentally was the worst motorcycle owning experience of my life but that's a tale for another day. The leak on that particular bike came from a pinched valve cover gasket that would only leak at highway speed as would produce a light oil spray that would, as you described, manifest itself in the form of stains on a pant leg. I'd look long and hard at that area of the motor. Here's to hoping it's nothing major.

Nate
00SprintRS

Nathan Maher, PE
JSN Associates, Inc.
(603) 433-8639 x. 209
(603) 431-2811 fax
nate@xxxxxxxxxx

Masiak, Richard wrote:
Well, it's not #1 and #2 is definitely not the problem.  So that leaves #3.  By blown seal you mean head gasket?  I took a look around the valve cover gasket and there's no apparent oil leak there.

I'll look lower.  But if it is a head gasket, isn't that done by over revving the engine?  I don't rev past 7000 RPM and that's only during aggressive acceleration off the line.  I cruise around 5000 RPM.

The oil spray on my thigh is very light.  Nothing major yet and my oil level is fine, so if I am losing oil it's not much.

I'll try giving the engine a thorough degreasing and cleaning, then see if anything shows up again.  If it's not the engine itself, it may be the build up of road grime and grease finally shedding.

THX