RE: [ST] Real Sprint Question

Quoting "Masiak, Richard" <Richard_Masiak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Well, it's not #1 and #2 is definitely not the problem.  So that leaves #3.
> By blown seal you mean head gasket?  I took a look around the valve cover
> gasket and there's no apparent oil leak there.

You haven't spraued anything with WD40 or something similar have you?

> I'll look lower.  But if it is a head gasket, isn't that done by over
> revving the engine?

More like bent valves due to valve bounce. you wont overrev the engine, it has
a limiter. Saying that one shouldn't be bouncing the engine off the limiter
all the time.

If you can't see oil on the bike itself then it's probaly not the bike. you
will have to trace the spots of oil from your pants to the same area on the
frame and trace this back ti the source.

> I don't rev past 7000 RPM and that's only during
> aggressive acceleration off the line.  I cruise around 5000 RPM.

I hit the rev limiter more often then I like. Probably because the engine is so
slow reving. Just as yopu think it's going to take off, the rev limiter comes
in. That's the problem with owning litre sports bikes I suppose.

> The oil spray on my thigh is very light.  Nothing major yet and my oil level
> is fine, so if I am losing oil it's not much.

Could be comming from the bottom yoke if the head stock is full of water. I
could be coolant as well, have you checked that.

> I'll try giving the engine a thorough degreasing and cleaning, then see if
> anything shows up again.  If it's not the engine itself, it may be the build
> up of road grime and grease finally shedding.

Give it a clean. You know it could look quite nice underneath.

Finally, take the seat off, see if it the same underneath.

--
SimonB