[ST] understanding power....

Another thing - I think this goes to many bikes. People never pay attention
to the actual power delivery or dyno charts of bikes - they love the "peak"
numbers. Which can be a waste in some regard. For example, yes the k1200s
has a higher peak hp. But did you know that the FJR has more hp AND torque
at ALL rpm, until 8000rpm where they then are the same. But because the
k1200s will rev higher, it then has more peak hp after that. Where the FJR
red-lines, the k1200s continues on.
 This happens with our beloved Sprints, and many a twin. Typically, the
twins and triples will have more torque all the way across the rev range.
These bikes are "down" on hp, only when looking at the "peak" value, which
on many fours only comes at some obscene rpm level. How often are you riding
at 14,000 rpm? This is where the twins and triples will pull away from the
fours out of corners. And in the real world, there aren't straights on these
roads for the fours to get to the point where they have the advantage. Hence
on the street, a twin or triple is MUCH better and faster. Through in better
engine breaking (and not having to wind the engine out for the LED to hear
you coming) and I can't really see why a four is better at all on the
street.
 Sorry for the rant - it goes to more than this thread, as I'm always
annoyed with people and their love of peak hp, and quoting these numbers
when not really understanding them.
 Matt Heyer