Re: [ST] Oil

On Apr 3, 2006, at 12:09 AM, Marc Van Est wrote:
> I'm planning on changing the oil and filter when the Daytona gets
> to 5000kms (3100 miles). It was also done at 600 miles as part of
> the 1st service.
>
> In my view the 10 000kms (6250 mile) interval is stretching it for
> an oil change.
>
> Anyone think I'm wasting my time and money?

Nope. Unfortunately I didn't start having my used oil analyzed until
after I no longer owned my ST, but from what I've seen with my
current motorcycle (a KLR650) there's no way I'd want to run any oil
for 6,000 miles in a motorcycle that uses the motor oil to lubricate
the transmission, too. At least, not until oil analysis (UOA) showed
that my choice of oil, in my bike, with my usage patterns, could hold
its viscosity and not become too loaded with insolubles.

Of course, UOAs are inexpensively available to anyone here in the US,
and I imagine most other parts of the world. (General aviation
aircraft frequently get UOAs.) $25 could answer some questions...
--
Blake Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxx>
<http://sobiloff.typepad.com/>