[ST] Stebel Nautilus Horn

Last week I installed an alternative horn to replace the
non-inspiring electric disc of my '01 Sprint. I frequently
do TTT runs (Tooter Tunnel Test) in search for the best
sounding Category A tunnels (TTT rating 8 or higher, low
steel railway viaducts generally do well). On my previous
bikes I installed a Fiamm AM80 low tone horn which gave nice
results, but on the Sprint the clearance with the front
fender and other stuff wasn't very good to install it.
So the TTT runs were very dissapointing and not improving
the moral of my little motorcycle gang.

Via another list I found out about the Stebel Nautilus
electropneumatic horn. See www.stebel.it > Products >
Electropneumatics > Nautilus series, you can hear a demo
of the horn there. It's 139dB up close, so turn up your
volume for a realistic simulation :-).

There's a compact version of this horn, but I couldn't find
it that easily here. I did find a Dutch shop which sells nothing
but the regular Nautilus horn: www.valkmotorparts.com . So I
took a chance and ordered the regular horn.

After some puzzling I found out there's a perfect space for it
in the right side of the upper fairing. I mounted a little bracket
(in wich I drilled 2 holes for the screws) on the right upper
radiator bolt. The bracket was then bent outwards to provide sufficient
clearance with the right front fork. The wiring from the original horn
(which is switched to ground) was connected to a relay which switched
a direct line (including 20 amp inline fuse) from battery plus to
the plus of the horn. I ran a straight line from the minus of
the horn to the battery negative pole.

Amazingly simple install, the horn is not visible, it sounds
very loud and very impressive (high marks in Cat A tunnels, also
pleasing results with drivers that don't check their blind corner).
Pics and details here: http://piloot.smugmug.com/gallery/1338993

Highly recommended by the SHITTTTT (Silly Horn Institute Triumph Tooter
Tunnel Test Team). I would like to thank www.hornblasters.com for their
inspiriational videos.

Emile
www.piloot.com