Re: [ST] was damnitalltoheck, now how's the beemer

> Martin - how's the beemer, not tempted back to the Trumpet fold ?

Well now.....there's a question.

The K1200S has turned out to be all that I could have wanted from a bike.
It's fantastic both on the road and on the track.
Fast, comfortable, stable and predictable.
I'd have a niggle about the poor protection provided by the stock screen but
that's really about it.

On a familiar note after the ST the panniers are a joke.
They leak like sieves. To counter this BMW provide a very nice waterproof
stuff bag. :O/
Not good enough, especially at BMW prices.

At this stage I've run up a few thousand miles, had it on the track, Had it
dyno'd at 138 RWHP (Stock with a tight motor and 95 octane fuel) and have
since added a TBR M7 exhaust and a race airkit so am now expecting decent
140s at the rear wheel.

So all's pretty good in the BMW camp.
Except of course for the complete failure of the braking system in rush hour
morning traffic!!!
Thankfully I had an escape route available and the presence of mind to a use
it.

The scenario was as follows.....
Small village road leading onto a main national route into Dublin.
There was a 90 degree right turn at a junction and as I took the turn a bus
pulled out from a stop into my expected path. No biggie as there was plenty
of space so I applied the brakes to be greeted by rapidly flashing warning
lights and no braking effort. Luckily there was a housing estate to my left
which I could turn into and use engine braking to stop.

An electronic unit which BMW call a modulator had failed. This unit takes
the signals from the ABS sensors and applies the servos as necessary. When
it failed the servos on 'BOTH' braking circuits weren't activated and I was
left with only residual mechanical braking  (negligible). This all happened
two weeks ago. At the time I told my colleagues about the incident and one
of them who rides a R1100RT said that he had a similar failure about a year
ago. Yesterday he dropped in to my office to tell me that the module had
failed yet again on his bike. So that's three brake failures on BMW ABS
bikes that I know of without doing any real digging.

So, in summary....
Fantastic bike let down only by a ridiculous design that results in a single
point of failure for critical safety systems.
Oh, and the useless screen and leaky panniers. ;O)

Martin (Howlin' Dawg) Fay
Ireland

'06 BMW K1200S
'00 Moto Guzzi California EV Touring
'75 Honda GL1000 Goldwing

The information contained in this e-mail and any files transmitted
with it is confidential and may be subject to legal professional
privilege. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee(s).
If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, please note
that any review, dissemination, disclosure, alteration, printing,
copying or transmission of this e-mail and/or any file transmitted
with it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.
If you have received this e-mail by mistake, please promptly
inform the sender by reply e-mail and delete the material.
Whilst this e-mail message has been swept for the presence of
computer viruses, eircom does not, except as required by law,
represent, warrant and/or guarantee that the integrity
of this communication has been maintained nor that
the communication is free of errors, viruses, interception or
interference.