Re: [ST] was damnitalltoheck, now how's the beemer

I'm on digest mode guys so am replying to a few posts in this thread below.

> Anyone know of a good website that explains how this brake system works?

Well the rear pedal operates the rear brake with servo assistance.
The front lever operates both front and rear brakes with servo assistance.

Both circuits are mechanically independent with separate servos.
Applying pressure at the lever activates the servo which in turn amplifies
this pressure and sends it to the calliper. So far so good until we add ABS
into the equation.

Sensors on the wheels send information to a control unit which monitors the
wheel for lock up. If the wheels lock then the servo for the locked wheel is
pulsed until the tyres recover grip. If this unit fails then the servos will
not activate at all and you're left with residual mechanical braking
performance.

To put this residual braking performance into perspective, residual braking
on the rear brake would not be sufficient to hold the bike stationary on a
steep hill. If anyone has ever had their power assisted steering fail on a
car then you'll know that it's a long way from a standard rack without power
assist.

> As I remember it they needed to have something
> welded but had it welded in place frying the ABS computer. After that
> the brakes were non-functional.

Correct and it's the same problem. They fried the computer hence the servos
wouldn't activate. Not quite as bad as the unit failing when in use though.

> This could happen at the extreme worst time with no warning, and then
you're dead.

Had it happened 200 miles earlier I would have been instructing at a track
day.
I'd almost certainly have left the track in either an ambulance or a hearse.
It's not a warm and fuzzy thought. :O(

Howlin'

The information contained in this e-mail and any files transmitted
with it is confidential and may be subject to legal professional
privilege. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee(s).
If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, please note
that any review, dissemination, disclosure, alteration, printing,
copying or transmission of this e-mail and/or any file transmitted
with it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.
If you have received this e-mail by mistake, please promptly
inform the sender by reply e-mail and delete the material.
Whilst this e-mail message has been swept for the presence of
computer viruses, eircom does not, except as required by law,
represent, warrant and/or guarantee that the integrity
of this communication has been maintained nor that
the communication is free of errors, viruses, interception or
interference.