[ST] Plastic Tank Fuel Fitting

I had planned for a routine fuel filter change and so I purchased the metal fuel fitting kit from Team Triumph and planned to swap the fittings at the same time.  Good thing I did since as soon as I touched the plastic fitting going into the tank plate it snapped off, leaving of course the threaded portion in the tank plate.
I fiddled around for about an hour without breaking it loose.  I'm thinking that I'll need to run a tap into it to clean out the threads.  I know it is a tapered thread but does anyone know if it is NPT or BSPT?
Thanks,
Pete